Recipe: Winter Egg Rolls
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, sliced thin (or 1/2 and onion)
- 2 T. sesame oil
- 1/2 head of cabbage, shredded red or green (we use a food processor)
- 1 large package mushrooms, shredded
- ½ bag brussel sprouts, shredded
- 1 beauty heart radish
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 celeriac, shredded
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- optional raw shrimp or pork, chopped into small bite-sized pieces
- 1/8 c. soy sauce
- 1 tblsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp minced ginger
- 1tsp cajun seasoning or cayenne
- Dash of cumin
- black pepper
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- canola or peanut oil for frying
- sweet and sour sauce, or hoisin sauce for dipping
- Saute garlic and leeks (or onion) in sesame oil in a large pot. Add all the shredded veggies to the pot with the olive oil. Stir frequently, and keep covered while not stirring.
- Add the spices and the optional meat. Continue cooking until the meat (if any) is just cooked through. The veggies should still be slightly firm. Cooking takes about 25 minutes.
- Take the pot off the heat, and roll the filling into the egg roll wrappers. 1/4 cup of filling can fit into each wrapper. Sealing the edges of the wrappers with water helps keep the seams from falling apart.
- To cook the eggrolls, heat the canola or peanut oil in a pot over a medium-high heat. It is important to have the oil hot enough so that the egg rolls cook in about 4 to 5 minutes or else they will be oil-logged. Fry the egg rolls in the oil until lightly browned. Take them out and drain them on paper towels or grocery shopping bags.
- Dip them and eat them!
- To reheat frozen eggrolls warm them in a oven at 350 F. until crispy
Microformatting by hRecipe.