Tips for searching:
- Searching for: hot pepper will return all results with the words hot AND pepper.
- Using quotes around the same words (i.e. "hot pepper" will return results with the phrase "hot pepper"
Recipe: Szechwan Eggplant Stir Fry with Tofu from Local Thyme
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 package Extra Firm Tofu
- 4 tablespoons Canola or Sunflower Oil
- 1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1 Globe Eggplant
- 1 Japanese Eggplant
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Purple Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 tablespoon Ginger , minced
- 1 tablespoon Garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce or Tamari , use gluten free, if desired
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions. While rice cooks, prepare tofu and vegetables.
- Cut tofu crosswise into 6 slices. Arrange in 1 layer on a clean kitchen towel and top with another towel. Press moisture out of blocks by weighing them down with a baking pan or baking sheet and let stand 5 minutes.
- Slice globe eggplant in half lengthwise, and slice lengthwise again for 4 wedges. Then slice each wedge in half lengthwise, for a total of 8 wedges. Then slice each wedge crosswise into 1/2 inch thick triangle shapes so that each piece has peel attached. Slice Asian eggplants in half lengthwise, and and then crosswise into 1/2 inch slices. Slice onion into 8 wedges, and then slice each wedge in half crosswise. Slice bell peppers into bite size chunks.
- In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha sauce, sugar and cornstarch. Reserve.
- Cut the tofu into 1 inch chunks, and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Have all ingredients prepped and close to the stove before starting. Preheat a wok or large skillet on highest heat. Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, and 1 of canola oil. Add tofu cubes and allow to cook until lightly browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over to brown the other sides, and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes, until lightly brown on two sides. Remove from pan and reserve on plate.
- Add a little more oil, and a little of the toasted sesame oil to the pan. In the same skillet or wok at high heat, add enough of the eggplant to cover the bottom of pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir fry, until browned and a little sticky. Remove from the pan to dish with tofu. Continue to add more eggplant and oil, if needed, and repeat until all eggplant is done.
- In the same skillet, cook the green and purple peppers and onion, at high heat, stir frying until the green pepper becomes deep green in color, but is still firm, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and ginger, and stir fry just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the chicken or vegetable stock and allow it to come to a boil, about 30 seconds. Pour in the soy sauce/corn starch mixture, and stir well. Toss in the reserved tofu and vegetables, and stir until thickened and well coated. Serve immediately with rice.