Recipe: Green Jade Soup
adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 C boiling water
- 6 C vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 1 1/2 T grated fresh ginger root
- 1 1/2 C thinly sliced carrot rounds AND/OR Beauty Heart Radish
- 3 C chopped bok choy, tatsoi, Chinese cabbage, kale, or broccoli
- 1 1/2 C thinly sliced leeks or onions
- 2 C firmly packed spinach or chard or Kale
- 1 cake tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes OR 1/2 pound cooked chicken cut into strips
- several drops dark sesame oil
- 1 green onion chopped as garnish – optional
- Soak shiitake mushrooms with boiling water in heatproof bowl 10 minutes.
- Bring stock to boil in large soup pot.
- Add ginger, leeks/onions, bok choi/tatsoi and carrots. Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Drain mushrooms and add soaking liquid to soup.
- Thinly slice shiitake caps and stir into soup with spinach and tofu/chicken; cook 5 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle soup with sesame oil and optional green onions.
Microformatting by hRecipe.