Tips for searching:
- Searching for: hot pepper will return all results with the words hot AND pepper.
- Using quotes around the same words (i.e. "hot pepper" will return results with the phrase "hot pepper"
Recipe: Eggplant, Chard and Chickpea Curry
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 large red onion, chopped (can substitute with any onion you have on hand)
- 1 medium red pepper, cored and seeded, chopped (omit if you don’t have)
- 1 bunch chard, chopped with stems too
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (spread them and pat dry for extra crispness)
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 t. good quality curry powder
- 1 t. dark brown sugar (sub molasses, muscavado or honey too, can use light brown sugar as well)
- Preheat your oven to 400°
- Whisk together the curry powder, sugar and oil in a small bowl. Combine the eggplant, onion, pepper and chickpeas, then pour the curry oil over (saving just a small amount for the chard) and carefully toss together to combine. The eggplant will soak up the oil but don’t add anymore. Eggplant is a sponge; too much oil and it will be too soggy.
- Spread the mixture on a baking sheet and bake, shaking the pan once or twice about halfway through, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute the chard in the curry oil that you set aside.
- When mixture in oven is done cooking, mix it with the chard. This dish can be consumed immediately, but takes on deeper flavor if allowed to sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Serve with naan or pita bread, over brown rice or on crisply toasted baguette slices.